25 Acts of Contemplation
As part of Eremos’ year-long celebration of our 25th Anniversary, we were inspired to create these 25 Acts of Contemplation. We hope you’ll join us in experiencing and sharing the gift of contemplation.
Help shine the light of Eremos by exploring these 25 Acts of Contemplation over the next year. Invite family and friends to join you.
Together we can infuse the world with contemplative awareness, opening us all to more peace, love, and joy.
1. Pause for 5 minutes of silent reflection each day.
2. Try walking meditation in a quiet place outdoors.
3. Practice imbuing ordinary daily tasks with sacredness by paying exquisite attention to every sensation and detail of the experience. Feel the presence of the Divine even as you wash the dishes.
4. Pray the World Peace Prayer at Noon.
5. Select a new poem each week and ponder it daily, observing how you experience it differently from day to day.
6. Try a new movement practice like Qigong, Tai Chi, Nia, or yoga. Or go deeper into your practice.
7. Sit by an open window at dawn with the intention to increase your sense of connection with the natural world and open to inner peace as a new day unfolds.
8. Consider a daily examen to thoughtfully reflect on the day.
9. Select a creative practice like coloring mandalas and set aside time to play with single-minded focus on the sheer joy of immersing yourself in the activity – without attachment to what you create.
10. Give yourself the gift of quietude by listening to soothing music as you wind down at the end of the day.
11. Visit a labyrinth. Walk it with the intention of listening deeply for the wisdom of the Divine.
12. Journal weekly with the prompt “How is Spirit guiding me?”
13. Pick something challenging happening in the world right now and bear witness to what’s unfolding. Without trying to fix it or change it, simply acknowledge that you see the suffering.
14. Create an altar at home with natural objects, candles, images, or prayers that centers you and connects you to the Holy One.
15. Using the tradition of Lectio Divina, let spirit guide you to a sacred passage or poem and immerse yourself in its wisdom.
16. Give the gift of deep listening to a friend over a cup of tea or coffee. Without trying to solve a problem or share an opinion – just listen.
17. Experience a retreat for a day, a weekend, or longer.
18. Practice mindful eating. Turn off your electronics, use all your senses, and increase your awareness of each bite.
19. Keep a gratitude journal to focus on the good things in life, both big and small.
20. Become aware of the sacredness of life by planting a tree or garden. Nourish that life through a practice of sacred watering.
21. Reach out to a friend you haven’t spoken to for a while. Appreciate the possibility of the gift of a renewed friendship.
22. Try the Buddhist practice of Tonglen, taking in others’ pain with each in breath and sending out compassion and relief with your out breath.
23. Embark upon a Prayerful Fast from news, food, or social media.
24. Explore the practice of Visio Divina with an inspiring image, object, or work of art calling for a deeper gaze.
25. Sit in nature. Find a special tree, creek, or patch of grass and then become comfortable with just being there, quiet and still. Allow nature to soothe and refresh you.
Thank you for making a difference in the world through the gift of contemplation!